Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Inconsiderate marketing people

Some marketing people call my office and ask for me. They want to market their product. Their approach is inconsiderate. They often interrupt me when I am busy doing my work.

These people have my e-mail address and mobile phone. They can send an e-mail or SMS to me. Instead, the call the telephone, without any prior announcement, and try to market their products. For these inconsiderate people, I always tell them that I am not interested, goodbye!

Tan Kin Lian

1 comment:

AC said...

I think there is a larger issue here about protecting personal data. In your case, people know you and thus, they asked for you. But for the general public, we are bombarded with nuisance calls all the time, at work and at home. I even receive calls from property agent at around mid-night and the frequency of call is increasing.

To help address this nuisance call problem, Yellow Pages should stop publishing telephone directory of residents. They could publish only those residents who like their numbers to be seen by all. I am sure many of us would like to keep that private. For business, it's ok.

Has anyone wondered who give Yellow Pages the rights to publish residents' telephone numbers ? It seems that the data is provided by Singtel. I asked Singtel and they told me if I wanted to keep my number confidential, I have to pay them, what a ridiculous idea !! If there is an existing policy, shouldn't that be reviewed, now that Singtel and YP are both now public listed companies?. I am not saying YP cannot publish telephone directories, but they must get the consent of the owner before they do so. If not, isn't this going against the data privacy law ?

Blog Archive