Sunday, January 16, 2011

Google Maps Singapore

I had difficulty in using the journey planner from SBS and SMRT. A friend suggested that I use Google Maps. I tried it and the experience is positive. This is what I did:

  • I searched for Google Map Singapore
  • I select the destination, i.e. Marina Bay Sands, MICE
  • I chose "Direction" and picked the nearly MRT stations, i.e. Promenade and Marina Bay.
  • I found that it is better to take the bus from Promenade, as the walking time to the station is 1 min and the journey is 3 mins. I would have to walk 5 mins to the bus stop at Marina Bay stations
Well done to Google. They really know how to provide the best technology and make things simple to the public. Our planners in Singapore should attend Google school.

GOOGLE MAP ON ANDROID
I tried the same approach with my Android phone. It worked in the same way. I now know how to use this app on the mobile phone. It is wonderful.

Tan Kin Lian

4 comments:

ron said...

Initially, many companies such as SBS paid for development and provided maps to complement their service.

However, companies with focused missions such as Google decided that search engine capabilities should include map, image searches.
They paid for R&D and came out with beta versions and improved on them so much that their systems are now the dominant ones.

SBS and similar companies that want to capture more business should not deny themselves of the services that other companies offer
It would be a mistaken belief that the RoI on the original mapping service should be recovered.

Write it off and move quickly to capture customer loyalty..
otherwise the outcome is one unhappy customer: Tan Kin Lian
who now embraces Google maps to find his way and ignore SBS website

So simple, but yet with MBAs and large bonuses, and large army of foreign talents... oh well. que sera sera

AC said...

I find www.gothere.sg is very good. It shows how to get from one place to another by bus, MRT, taxi or drive. It also shows you the direction on the map, the exact bus number to take and where to park. Check it out.

Laremy said...

You can consider using gothere.sg too.

JasonX said...

gothere.sg is really good. its just a shame that a local company with far less financial might than sbs / smrt can come out with better apps than them.

Our transport companies has the advantage of core business & data, and should come out with better apps that serves the public needs. maybe they can learn a thing or 2 from our local developers.

Blog Archive