Friday, October 21, 2011

Top-up CPF by cash

The charge (by eNETS) to top up a CPF by internet banking is too high. For an amount of $1,000, the charge is $15. For a larger amount, the charge is NOT specified.

To avoid this excessive charge, I decided to pay by cheque ($0.25 for postage). But I have to write a lot of detail at the bank of the cheque including an unweildly transaction number. See below.










This is not the only thing that I have to write. I still have to write the cheque and make sure that the amount in words and letters are correct, the date is correct, the payee is correct. I also have to make sure that the address of CPF is correctly written on the envelope.  This is a sad part of life in Singapore - so much hassle and over-charging.

8 comments:

Vincent said...

ya, $15 for online transaction by NETS is too much!! I think write Name & IC number on cheque should also be able to transact successfully. if write "CPF board" on envelope, i think will also reach them. :-)

Anonymous said...

I am surprise that u put more money into CPR where the rules changes all the time. The minute the fund is in u never know when u can get it out

DareToAct said...

There is no charge using Internet transfer.

Tan Kin Lian said...

The eNETS payment was quite confusing to me. After some study, I now realise that the fee of $15 is for payment by credit card and that payment through bank debit is probably free.

Anonymous said...

Use AXS ! Check out this link:
http://mycpf.cpf.gov.sg/Members/E-Svc/AXS/AXS-Info.htm

symmetrix said...

I know of some ppl who do voluntary top-ups into CPF purely for the higher interest rate. Once you meet your minimum sum and all other CPF obligations, any excess money in your CPF OA can be withdrawn yearly. Some of my friends have been doing this the past few years.

FYI, POSB has just lowered its interest rate to 0.1 %, so using CPF as a "savings bank" that gives higher "risk-free" interest can be considered as an option.

Tan Kin Lian said...

You can also enjoy tax relief on the amount that you top up, subject to a limit of $7,000 per year. For example, if your tax rate is 10% and you top up $7,000, you save on $700 in tax.

Unknown said...

I want to top up my CPF Ordinary Account with cash.

Went to the website but cannot find any clarity as to whether I can do it or not.

Honestly, I don't find the CPF website user friendly. Not sure if their vote statistics at the end of each log in session is accurate.

Blog Archive