Sunday, March 18, 2012

Skype video conferencing

I have participated in a 3 way Skype video conferencing on a few occasions recently, with other parties in different countries. It worked well. It is much better than travelling for a meeting.

We arranged a time to call. I tried to log in earlier and check if the other parties are online. If so, I will call them before the meeting just to establish contact and can call back again at the arranged time. I have also used video, so that it is possible to see the other party "face to face".

I will be trying this approach even with parties in Singapore. It is useful to be in a conference on Skype. Although I knew that this facility was available, and had used in on some past occasions, it becomes more handy when there is real business to discuss around the world!

1 comment:

Tan Kin Lian said...

I just held a 2 hour board meeting on Skype with 5 people around the world. It went on well. There were a few occasions when the sound was not clear, but it was only for a short while. And it is free.

I have just tried to use the screen sharing and it worked well. So, in future, my Skype conference can have a screen sharing feature. It is still free.

I will be trying the Skype Premium which allows group video calls. It means that several people can have their videos shown on the screen. Anyone can signal to the chair person that he or she wishes to speak and the chair person can give the time to that person.

It also has a feature for group screen sharing. I do not know if this means that the screen can be passed from one person to another.

This is wonderful technology. I was not aware about how easily it can be used. So, I shall be using it more often.

Blog Archive