Sunday, May 13, 2012

Complicated offer

9 May 2012

Editor, Forum Page
Straits Times


Recently, I contacted Singtel to upgrade the speed of the internet connection in my office. The Singtel sales representative provide the prices for the various speeds and a choice of several free software, hardware, mobile line or mobile broadband. The details of the promotional offers are sketchy.

I do not understand why it is necessary for Singtel to give these complicated offers, which require the business customer to spend time to evaluate the offers, causing a delay in the primary transaction. It would have been much easier, if they had offered a lower price for their internet service.

Singtel also wanted to check if my earlier contract had expired and if a penalty has to be imposed for the early termination of that contact. I am puzzled at this practice, as I am upgrading to a service that provides a higher revenue to Singtel. Surely, they can just transfer me to the new contract without imposing a penalty on me, or forcing me to wait for the completion of the current contract.

I continued to be puzzled at the convoluted way that business is done in Singapore. It cause a waste a lot of time for customers and also create a lot of unnecessary work for the customer service employees.

I urge Singapore businesses to get rid of the unproductive practices and to focus on the essentials of their business.


Tan Kin Lian

2 comments:

tanakow said...

I have some similiar experience with Starhub. I have subscribed to Starhub Cable TV but am not under any contract. Starhub has some new promotion for new customers. I am not qualified under this promotion. What i did was i terminated my account with Starhub. And I didn't bother to sign up for the promotion.

RayNg said...

Try My Republic.
http://www.myrepublic.com.sg/

Blog Archive