Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Population of Istanbul

I asked the guide who met me at the airport - what is the population of Istanbul? She said 20 to 25 million! This was a surprise to me, because I thought that it was 2 million. I asked the hotel bell-boy and he said 17 million. It could be more.

I checked Wikipedia and found that it was 13.4 million. Link. I think that the bell-boy is right as most cities usually have more people that officially reported. So, it is 2 1/2 times the population of Singapore! And the downtown looks charming as most buildings are not very high.

Istanbul has water on most sides. It lies between the Black Sea and the Sea of Marmara, which joins the Aegean Sea and the Mediterranean Sea. The Bhosphorus Straits cuts through Istanbul, separating the European side from the Asian side.

Here is a charming picture of Istanbul.




No comments:

Blog Archive