Sunday, June 17, 2012

Green Post

I registered for Green Post (https://www.gogreenpost.com/) a few months ago. This is an excellent website. But, they had little success and take-up, and it reflects the sad state of affairs in Singapore. I wish to share my experience and to reflect on our problems and what should be done to correct the wastefulness that is now typical of Singapore.

First, I was surprised to find that only a few organizations signed up for Green Post, i.e. two telephone companies and 1 utility company and some small companies. It seemed to be quite troublesome to register, so I did not try at that time.

I received an e-mail about a contest. It seemed that the largest highest score was 7 points. The participant get 1 point for registering for a service and to 1 point to refer a friend. So, the take-up must be poor, in spite of an excellent website.

I located my telephone and utility bills for these three participating organizations and made the effort to register. It was quite troublesome - due primarily to the requirements of the participating organizations. I had to provide several pieces of information that was not available to me. The requirement of Sing Tel was particularly difficult, as I had to provide a Sing Net address (which I do not have) or a mobile number registered with them (which I do not have). I only had a fixed line. I also failed to register to Starhub, also due to their difficult technical requirement (have to download a Java script which failed). After putting in much effort, I only managed to register for SP Services.

I am resigned to continue to receive my monthly statements through the post. This is good for Singapore Post, but is bad for the economy. What a wasteful country - this Singapore.

The problem is the unnecessary requirements regarding "security". Each organization felt that they had to authenticate the identity of their customer in their own peculiar way, forgetting that most customers do not remember the secret passwords and other long forgotten personal data.

It would have been easier for them to accept a login through Sing Pass or for the customer to upload a signature. We need a simpler way to authenticate a person through the website, instead of the separate methods (often ridiculous methods) used by different organizations.

Singapore may claim to be advanced in the use of technology, but if you look at the huge volumes of paper mails that are being sent around, we are indeed very inefficient and wasteful.


5 comments:

Eric said...

I would like to highlight that it's the corporates which are slow to adapt to new technologies, as most decision makers are still reluctant to embrace it, choosing instead to corporate trend.

Anonymous said...

rex comments as follows,

for the singtel issue, i am really furious with the singtel website. When you register they require you to use ONEPASS specail singtel password. However CPF website said that SingPass is the one password needed for govt transactions. I dont understand the singtel website at all. You log in and they ask you to upgrade to OnePass their own password. for what? Why cant the old password do? Then when you agree to get "onepass" they ask for you singnet email address. Many people given up their singnet.com.sg which is archaic! How can they insist that youmust be their customer before they give you a password to register for something they want to sell? They go round in circle and drives you nuts. I have discontinued all my contracts with Singtel and am now a happy M1 customer.

rex

Wilfred Ling said...

SingTel can use SingPass? SingPass is only for government websites. SingTel isn't a government entity.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

As for now, am using eBill service from the following provider

1. Singtel
2. Starhub
3. SP Service
4. DBS
5. IRAS, CPF etc



Though they are not centralized, but i am happy not receiving any hard copy from the above services.

Please check out from their website.

Hope you can enjoy the service too. Thanks.

DimitriVassilis said...

I think the GreenPost service is such a time saver! I signed up for it recently and have stopped worrying about missing a bill. I like their ipad app too. I think most of the sign-up issues come from the billers, so GreenPost is doing the best it can. Pity the telcos and utility here don't push it more. It could really save heaps of paper and time and avoid inconvenience. It does seem like the big companies here don't like innovation!

Blog Archive