Friday, August 10, 2012

My observations on a morning walk

Twinkle is my pet dog, a Schnauzer. She is now 12 years old.

During the past year, I have taken her out for a walk several times each week. Initially, I had to use a leash, so that Twinkle will stay close to me, and not run away on a busy road with cars. (She was knocked down twice in past years and had to be nursed to recover).

I have started to take her out without a leash. She has now learned to stay close to me. I had read this tip in a booklet on training dogs, and it worked.

Walking back this morning, I had to cross a busy side road where many cars were driving by. The drivers of two cars on both sides of the road saw me with a dog and stopped to let us cross safely.

They are considerate people, and I want to thank them. Although in a hurry, they do take the time to give way.

The house on the opposite side of my house displayed a Singapore flag to celebrate National Day.  I observed that one in three houses in my neighborhood did put up the flag. I had also put up the flag much earlier, for Singapore - and not for any political affiliation. 

3 comments:

michael13 said...

All dogs can be trained and they emulate human friendly behaviors easily. When I was in New Zealand for a holiday and while relaxing myself in the garden field, I played balls with the big dogs looking fierce and I enjoyed every moment of their accompanies. In Singapore and Malaysia, I don't dare to do the same.

Tan Kin Lian said...

I bought Twinkle from a pet shop when she was a few months old. She has now been with me for 12 years, which is equivalent to equivalent to 84 years in human life.
Every living person or animal have to go one day. I like to let Twinkle enjoy her remaining years, which I hope will still be a few more!

yujuan said...

In the Holy Bible, the Lord Jesus always spoke in parables to illustrate a point in his teachings. Even the lord Buddha resort to using parables to teach
his disciples too.
Amusing to find Mr. Tan and Commentators taking a leaf from the Lord. Like the word "annointing" and using a "84 years" old old dog as a "reminder" that both human and dog have finite lives.
Yes, we need to tread carefully on fragile egos to protect ourselves.

Blog Archive