Friday, October 18, 2013

Do we have adequate resources for investigative work?

THIS LETTER IS NOT PUBLISHED BY STRAITS TIMES

12 October 2013

Editor
Forum Page
Straits Times

I wish to thank Superintendent Ho Yenn Dar of the Singapore Police Force for giving me a reply and assurance that the Police will commence investigation when there is evidence that a criminal offence has been committed.

I like to ask if the Police has sufficient investigators to handle the alleged criminal cases that were lodged and if these investigators had the skill, experience and inclination to carry out investigative work?

In November 2011, I was involved in filing a complaint with another person on an alleged cheating case involving a company that provided forex training courses at a high fee. The complaint was accompanied by several hundred pages of documents of alleged deception of the trainees over a period of several years. 

After a delay of a few months, the investigator replied that they did not find any evidence ofcheating.to merit investigation. During this period, both of the complainants were not invited to meet the investigator to clarify the evidence that were presented. We had contacted the investigator a few times, and were told that the requested meeting was not required.

I am now helping a group of complainants on another case. The complainants alleged that they had been cheated in an investment scam and had filed a complaint with the Commercial Affairs Department. The filed complaints from ten people contained several instances of alleged cheating as described in section 415 of the Penal Code of Singapore.

I have asked the investigator to interview the complainants and also offered my assistance in reviewing the evidence, as I am familiar with this matter. I await to see the action that will be taken by the investigator and look forward to a more positive and inclusive outcome to this complaint.

1 comment:

sgcynic said...

My cheating case filed with the SPF required meeting the MP to write in to the relevant department before the SPF decided to launch an investigation. The staff sergeant at the front desk of the NPC had simply dismissed it earlier as a civil matter that did not warrant my filing a report. He only took down my record when I insisted on it. Two years and after three of the investigators on my case had been changed (posted elsewhere or resigned), the police sits on my case on advice of the AGC as they fail to locate the accomplice. I have no respect for the SPF.

Blog Archive