Sunday, November 27, 2016

Jetstar may lose a long time customer

Jetstar may lose a long time customer.

I have been travelling to Jakarta on Jetstar for the past 8 years. I am familiar with their website and their self service kiosk. I also use Jetstar when I travel to Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok. Their fares are competitive.

A few days ago, I wanted to book a ticket to Kuala Lumpur. The fare was $310. It seemed very high. It could be due to the December school holiday.

I looked for alternative and finally booked a VIP bus to Kuala Lumpur for less than $70 return. It seemed to be a good option. I will probably travel by bus as the first choice in the future.

Yesterday, I booked a flight to Bangkok. JetStar wanted to charge over $300. I looked for an alternative and found Tiger Air at $220. So, I booked Tiger Air.

I also searched Tiger Air and find that they also provide flights to Jakarta for the same price as JetStar. Their travel times are more convenient. In the future, I might fly Tiger Air to Jakarta.

Previously, I was reluctant to use Tiger Air because their website was "troublesome" for the first time user. Having overcome this initial hurdle, I do not expect similar problem in the future with Tiger Air.

Lesson for Tiger Air - simplify your website. Make it easy for the first time customer. Otherwise, you are chasing them away.


Lesson for JetStar - keep your long time customer. Once you chase them away with steep pricing, they will find an alternative. And you may lose the customer forever!




No comments:

Blog Archive